Thursday, July 10, 2008

Giving (and taking) with Gusto!


If you've ever watched a baby nurse or even take a bottle, you've seen what I'm talking about. For all intents and purposes, the world ceases to exist for that little one. The only thing that matters to them is their nourishment. I'm probably biased, but I think a breastfeeding child shows it best. My son's 27" length and 20 lbs heft wraps around my body and molds to my every curve (and trust me I've got plenty). If he is hungry and not just snacking, he gazes lovingly at my breast while he pats it with his hand. He scooches up as close as possible and gets everything he can from each suckle. To me, that's taking with gusto!

As he takes from me, what God so wonderfully designed my body to produce, I am giving with that same gusto. Some women have more nursing gusto than others (you know who you are w/ your dripping off side, and fountain-like spraying)! However, all nursing mothers give with gusto. Its not an easy thing to continuously be at your child's beck and call. Some children seem to want to nurse 24 hours a day, every day. While a mother loves spending time with her child, those first few days (weeks or maybe even months) can be exhausting, strenuous, draining (literally), and frustrating. However, most nursing mothers will tell you that it is all worth it in the end - even if the end is simply the end of one feed!

My nursing relationship w/ Simon can be compared God's relationship with me. Its completely natural for me to give Simon his nourishment through nursing. I was designed that way, as was he. I cannot control my giving, nor can he control his taking. What he needs, I produce. When he takes with gusto, I produce more with gusto.

The same with God. He gives with gusto. Everything we have, everything we are, everything we can be results from God's love and giving with gusto. He enjoys giving so much that He sent his only Son to pay for our sins, that we may live in Him and with Him. Its up to us to take with gusto so He can give us more. If we focus on taking with absolute gusto what God gives, we will continue to reap the rewards for the remainder of our lives (and into the afterlife). However, we don't always take with the gusto required. We take, but do not lovingly pay God the homage he deserves. We can still be nourished by his gifts, but we are lacking in fulfillment. However, if as we take, we gaze at God with love in our eyes and hearts, we can feel Him giving us more in return.

So let us all try to take from God with the same gusto he gives to us!

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Great blog, I agree nursing takes gusto!

Your BBC/NFP friend

Jenna

Total Pageviews

Smiling already at 2 weeks

Smiling already at 2 weeks
Rachel has been smiling as a response to other people since day one.

And two shall become one...

And two shall become one...
In 2006, Andrew & I became one before God and family! Shortly thereafter we became 3 with the birth of Simon in 2008... Then 4 with the addition of Rachel in 2009!

Erika's Miracle Journey Continues's Fan Box