Friday, January 20, 2012

What Do You Mean By Choice?

If you ask that question to a pro-choice person, they will most likely say that choice is about having the option to kill the unborn. Oh, they won't say it that way, but that is the gist of the meaning for them. If you visit a pro-choice site (like Planned Parenthood), you will not be overwhelmed by choices for "family planning" that really don't promote family at all. If you look hard enough, you can find information on the 'calendar' method of natural family planning, but it is minimal at best. However, you can find all sorts of options for hormonal birth control. You will also find numerous resources for abortion clinics. However, very little will be mentioned about adoption. In other words, the only 'choice' that really matters is the one choice that is fatal for one person and injures the other.

We are bombarded by ads for birth control as we watch the news or other programs on TV. Even commercials that aren't for birth control contain subtle (or not so subtle) innuendos about how having children basically ruins your life. There are a few programs and ads that indicate that families are a good part of life, but they are few and far between. I don't think I have ever seen an ad promoting adoption. I've seen some for fostering, but seldom do they go so far as promoting adoption. I know I've never seen an ad (or TV program) that promotes fertility awareness or natural family planning.

This begs the question, why are these choices not important to the pro-choice groups? Is it because parenthood is a life-long sacrifice that our selfish society appreciate? Is it because more money can be made with birth control and abortion than with fertility awareness and parenthood? Is it because families aren't glamorous? Why, if women's liberation is so important, are women seeking to be chained to a drug that poisons their bodies?

I can't answer these questions because I know for myself that life, in all its stages, is sacred. We, humans, are created in God's image. My body is a temple, not of self, but of God. I am free, by God's design, to make choices. However, my choices end when someone else's life begin. I am not imprisoned by God's laws. Instead His laws give me the freedom to love Him, my husband, and our children with the whole of my being. So the next time you hear abortion and birth control touted as freedom of choice, remember that we are freed when we submit to God. Also, ask that person just what 'choice' means to them and why.

http://www.jillstanek.com/2012/01/announcing-2nd-annual-ask-them-what-they-mean-by-choice-blog-day-january-22/

No comments:

Total Pageviews

Smiling already at 2 weeks

Smiling already at 2 weeks
Rachel has been smiling as a response to other people since day one.

And two shall become one...

And two shall become one...
In 2006, Andrew & I became one before God and family! Shortly thereafter we became 3 with the birth of Simon in 2008... Then 4 with the addition of Rachel in 2009!

Erika's Miracle Journey Continues's Fan Box